Friday, February 5, 2010

#1 Systems and interdependance

The idea that groups are living systems that function off of one another is easiest for me to see when I try to view groups as clocks. A clock works by all of its parts functioning together in order to achieve the goal of telling the most accurate time. When one gear or cog is not functioning properly, it affects all the gears attached to it. Small groups work in the same way because if one or more people do not communicate well within a group, then it affects the groups overall success. Basketball is a great example because it is a good model of a small group needing to achieve the common goal of winning. If one player cannot defend against his or her opponent and that opponent continually scores against them, then that negatively affects the group as a whole. In turn, the team (group) will no longer rely on that person as a trustworthy defender and they must compensate for this. Its as if a gear is not functioning properly, and it causes all the other parts around it to work even harder to achieve their common goal.

3 comments:

  1. This is an interesting outlook and working together as a group. The basketball example is perfect I do agree with you on that. I think that any sports team has to work together as a group otherwise it does not work when there is a lack of communication or agreement. To be able to be successful you have to have the reliance of other.
    I also was very interested after reading your blog about how a clock works as a group. When I first looked at the assignment I was drawn to experiences that have happened to me in my life our ways I could apply the concepts to my life. This idea never would have come to my mind. But, clocks do have to work together using the minute hand and the second hand to keep track of time. If one if off then time is not correct, so they have to rely on each other to work simotaniously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clocks are an interesting metaphor for groups. It is very true. Each individual member of groups has a specific affect on the group as a whole. I believe that the saying "we are only as strong as our weakest link" is extremely true. One person can make the group experience hell for everyone, as well as it puts the success in achieving the group’s goal in jeopardy. I also agree with you that sports teams are similar to groups. Unfortunately though, teams have a specific goal that is usually achieved in the same way, as well as a coach that leads them. There is a sense of team and etc, while in small groups in school and work settings there is a sense of competition within each other and it is a bit more forced. Hopefully, group members can understand that it is like a sports team and a clock and if all members don’t work together, then they will fail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Awesome I really liked how you compared groups to clocks. I think that it is very easy to have a functioning group that works well together have one other their "gears" mess up leaving the once well oiled machine into something not very productive at all. I think sometimes individual group members do not realize that they are being selfish sometimes and do what they want instead of what is right for the group. I am one who personally does not like working in forced group settings, but I realize that I will have to get over that once I enter the work force.

    ReplyDelete