Saturday, February 20, 2010

question #3: Nonverbal communication

One of the more interesting topics in this chapter was the one discussing nonverbal communication. I think that nonverbal communication is a key component in groups, because it is often subtle and each group has its own set of patterns. These patterns vary from group to group, which is interesting because what may seen as a good or positive gesture in one group, may seem tacky or even offensive in another group. I think the US is especially sensitive to nonverbal communication because there are so many subcultures that exist here. Facial expressions are nonverbal gestures that used to always throw me off when dealing with people. When someone would use a facial expression that seemed offensive to me, it would cause me to view their remarks in an offensive way. Even if they did not intend to insult me, I was forcing myself to view their communication in a negative context in order to place a correlation to their words and my interpretation of their facial expression. I learned that my interpretation of a facial expression is not universal, and that allowed me to view communication in a much different way.

1 comment:

  1. I’ve had a similar experience where our group ignored a certain member because of his actions. It was difficult to watch our group slowly deteriorate because of one person’s mistake. The reason why he was ignored was because this person did an inappropriate act when we were at a specific scouting event. During this event, we were set as leaders, and he did something inappropriate which made the whole group look bad. Our advisors saw this and it affected the whole group. This showed me that wrong scenarios affect the whole group and not just a certain individual for the whole group.

    ReplyDelete